October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among American women. In 2013, an estimated 232,340 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, while 64,640 will be diagnosed with non-invasive breast cancer. With early detection and treatment, women can fight back against breast cancer.
Diagnosed with Breast Cancer? Here Are Your Treatment Options
• Breast-conserving surgery and radiation therapy. An operation to remove the breast cancer, but not the breast itself.
• Total mastectomy. The entire breast is removed. Many celebrities, including Angelina Jolie, Christina Applegate, Kathy Bates and Sharon Osbourne, have spoken out about their choice to receive a double mastectomy.
You Are Not Alone in Your Fight Against Breast Cancer
Receiving a diagnosis of breast cancer can be overwhelming. Hearing the perspective of others who have survived cancer can give you a better perspective on treatment and survival.
Here are a few quotes from famous faces who won the battle against breast cancer:
• “Having had cancer, one important thing to know is you’re still the same person at the end…most people come out the other end feeling more like themselves than ever before.” -Kylie Minogue
• “I look at my cancer journey as a gift: It made me slow down and realize the important things in life and taught me to not sweat the small stuff.” – Olivia Newton-John
• “Cancer gave me the gift of being fearless.”- Today show co-host Hoda Kotb
• “I was diagnosed with breast cancer two months ago and am recovering from a double mastectomy. I don’t miss my breasts as much as I miss Harry’s Law.” – Kathy Bates
What Can I Do To Show My Support in the Fight Against Breast Cancer?
“With over 3 million women battling breast cancer today, everywhere you turn there is a mother, daughter, sister, or friend who has been affected by breast cancer.” -Betsey Johnson
Even if you don’t suffer from breast cancer, you most likely know someone who is. Show your support by:
- Donating to charities
- Participating in walks and races that give proceeds to breast cancer foundations. Some of the most popular races include the Race for the Cure, Three-Day Walk for Breast Cancer and “Tour De Pink.”
Do your part in the fight against breast cancer.